A chic appetizer that is as easy to make as it is delicious. What could be better? For this recipe, make sure to have fresh scallops because the flavour and texture are much better than frozen ones. You can also try using walnut oil instead of hazelnut oil. Both can be found in supermarkets.
- 1 Pink Lady® apple
- 25 ml olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt
- 4 tsp hazelnut oil
- 25 g white flour
- 2 pinches of chilli pepper
- 2 paper-thin slices of cured ham
- 4 large scallops (preferably with the coral)
- a few chervil leaves (or flat-leaf parsley)
- Rinse the scallops in cold water and cut them in quarters.
- Roll the pieces of scallops in flour.
- Heat a frying pan with the olive oil. When hot, place the scallops in the pan and fry for 5 minutes, just until the edges are golden. Stir gently while cooking.
- Add the chilli pepper and 1 pinch of sea salt at the start of cooking.
- Cut the cured ham slices in half.
- Cut the PINK LADY® apple into thin sticks, using a mandoline if available (otherwise a knife will do fine!).
- Sprinkle the apple sticks with the lemon juice and hazelnut oil.
- Assemble the layers in the verrine glass dishes.
- Place the scallops at the bottom of the glass, add a half slice of cured ham, then the apple sticks.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to each verrine
- Decorate the top with a few leaves of chervil and serve immediately.
Pink Lady® top tip
For the scallops to be crunchy outside and tender inside, they must be cooked quickly in a hot frying pan. Avoid placing them too soon in a pan that is cold or barely warm.