How about surprising your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day? There’s no better way to finish a romantic meal than by serving a dessert you made yourself! When baked, the Pink Lady® apple is remarkable for its texture and flavour, which is both sweet and tart. And baking it with Madagascar Bourbon vanilla and dark rum really enhances the apple’s flavour. This recipe strikes a fine balance between the crunchiness of the lightly salted shortbread and the subtlety of the candied apple. The apple crisps round out the magic of this tasty treat, by adding a crispy yet soft touch. Finally, the lightness of the whipped cream with lime offers a refreshing note that makes the whole dessert just melt in your mouth. Pink Lady® wishes you a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
For the baked apples
- 2 Pink Lady® apples
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 20 g butter
- 1 pods of Madagascar Bourbon vanilla
- 5 tsp orange-blossom honey or liquid mixed-flower honey
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Core 2 apples with an apple corer, keeping the stem intact.
- Remove the bottoms of the apples by slicing off the bottom third. Place the apples in a baking dish.
- Squeeze the lemon and pour the juice over the apples.
- Split 1 vanilla pod and remove the beans.
- Melt the honey, then add the butter and the vanilla beans.
- Remove from heat and add the rum.
- Pour this syrup over the apples and bake for 1 hour. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the apples to keep them from burning. Pour the syrup over the apples regularly while they bake. After one hour, remove the paper and continue baking for 15 more minutes. Remove the apples from the oven, pour syrup over and let cool.
For the biscuits
- 65 g flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 half egg yolk
- 15 g ground almond
- 40 g softened butter
- 20 g icing sugar
- 1 A quarter of a tsp / 1/4 tsp yeast
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Cut open the remaining ½ vanilla pod and remove the beans with the tip of a knife.
- Whip the butter, the icing sugar and the vanilla with an electric whisk until the mixture turns white.
- Add the egg yolk. Mix.
- Mix the flour, yeast, almond powder and salt in another bowl.
- Incorporate this dry mixture into the creamed butter. Do not overmix. Shape into a ball, cover with stretch film and chill in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.
- Spread the dough until it is about 0.5 cm thick.
- Cut out 2 circles with cookie cutters with a diameter of 8 cm.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 to 20 minutes until they are golden. Let cool.
For the apple crisps
- 1 Pink Lady® apple
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Core the apple with an apple corer.
- Cut the apple with a mandoline slicer (horizontally) into 2-mm-thick slices.
- Arrange the apple slices on a rack covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for an hour and a half, turning the slices over halfway through the baking time. Open the oven door from time to time to let the steam escape.
- Let the apple crisps cool.
For the whipped cream with lime
- 1 half lime
- 25 g sugar
- 150 ml whipping cream with 35% fat
- Zest the lime.
- Beat the very cold cream with the sugar, using an electric whisk.
- Put in the refrigerator to chill.
- whipping cream with 35% fat
- Place one shortbread biscuit and one apple on each plate. Decorate with an apple crisp.
- Serve accompanied by whipped cream with lime.
Pink Lady® top tip
To make the dessert crunchier, you can sprinkle it with a few baked almond slices and a bit of lemon rind!