PinKids® Apple Shortbread Cookies
For the shortbread
- 400 g flour
- tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan assisted/gas 4. Line the bottom and sides of a 23x33cm (9×13 inch) deep baking pan with parchment paper, set aside. Tip: Make sure to leave extra parchment paper folded over the sides of the tin to later help remove the cookies.
- To make the shortbread dough, using a wooden spoon or electric mixer, mix together the butter, caster sugar, egg yolks and salt in a medium sized bowl until smooth.
- Add the flour and mix just until you can’t see any dry flour in the bowl.
- Take 550g of the dough and press it into the bottom of the prepared baking pan with your hands.
- Place remaining dough in the fridge until needed.
For the filling
- 5 PinKids® apples
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For the filling, peel and remove the cores of the PinKids® apples (you can keep the peels for a snack or a zero waste recipe!)
- Cut the apple flesh into slices about 5mm thick and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the sugar and spices over the apple then toss to coat well.
- Spread the apple slices evenly over the prepared shortbread crust.
- Take the remaining shortbread dough from the fridge and rub the dough between your fingers to crumble it over the apple.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes. Tip: Check the colour of the crumble at about 30 minutes, if it’s browning too quickly, place a piece of tinfoil over the top to stop it from browning too much.
- A bit of icing sugar
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack for about 10-15 minutes. While it’s still warm but cool enough to touch, lift out the entire bake, using the folded over parchment paper as handles, and place on a cutting board. Use a cookie cutter to stamp out shapes, then dust cookie shapes with powdered sugar.
- Tuck in while they’re still warm, or, you can enjoy them cold.
Find inspiration with other recipes