Pink Lady® Pop Cake Trio
This recipe is fun and quick to make. It is also a lot of fun to make with children. The Pink Lady® apple has made an original take on the famous American pop cake. Traditionally, these treats consist of little spheres of cake coated in icing; here they’re made of little balls of Pink Lady® apple dipped in a delicious coating, making this a healthy dessert or snack. Pink Lady® apples are a perfect fit for this recipe. Their firmness makes it easy to make little spherical shapes and their acidity brings balance to the dish when combined with the sweetness of the coatings. Find out more
For all three chocolate coatings
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 4 and a half sheets gelatine
- 40 g white chocolate.
- 35 g intense dark chocolate
- 50 g milk chocolate for cooking
- Soak the gelatine for the three different coatings separately in cold water for 2 minutes
- Finely chop the black, white and milk chocolate
- Heat 100 ml of cream, turn off the heat and add the dark chocolate and the two dessert spoons of icing sugar. Stir.
- Remove the gelatine from the water making sure you drain away any excess, add to the chocolate mixture, then add the cream.
- Stir and put to one side for 20 minutes. Repeat with the white and milk chocolate.
For the pop cakes
- 5 Pink Lady® apples
- 1 lemon
- 10 g cranberries
- 10 g sliced almonds
- 10 g desiccated coconut
- 10 g pistachios
- 10 g sultanas
- 15 g sesame or hazelnut brittle (nougatine)
- popcake sticks or straws
- Finely chop the pistachios, sultanas and cranberries.
- Lightly toast the flaked almonds and pistachios in a dry frying pan.
- Break up the brittle.
- Put the dried fruit and brittle into six different recipients.
- Press the lemon
- Make little apple balls with a melon baller. Put the balls in the lemon juice.
- Dry the balls with some kitchen towel.
- Insert a stick or straw into each ball and then dip into one of the three coatings
- Let the coating set a little before sprinkling on the mixes.
- Create tropical pop cakes with the dark chocolate and coconut, tutti-frutti pop cakes with white chocolate and dried fruit, and finally crunchy pop cakes with the milk chocolate and brittle.
Pink Lady® top tip
If you don\’t have a melon baller, you can simply cut the Pink Lady® apples into quarters, leaving the skin on.
Find inspiration with other recipes
- Main dishes