Grown in France, Pink Lady® apples flourish throughout the seasons in the orchards of the sunny regions of the South-East, South-West and Loire Valle…
Grown in France, Pink Lady® apples flourish throughout the seasons in the orchards of the sunny regions of the South-East, South-West and Loire Valley. These unique locations allow Pink Lady® apples to develop all their aromatic richness, and the Pink Lady® Europe Association thus contributes to the local economy, and to over 6000 jobs in France*! Pink Lady® has therefore decided to highlight its local growing areas with a delicious recipe. *Source: Étude Utopies 2018
- 1 Pink Lady® apple
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 g butter
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 raw yellow beetroot
- 1 large sweet onion
- 5 ml sherry vinegar
- Orange zest
- Wash the golden beetroot by brushing it vigorously. Also wash the apple and gently wipe it dry.
- Peel and chop the onion. Add the 10 g of butter to a frying pan and cook the onion over low heat for 30 minutes, stir frequently. Once it is cooked, sprinkle with 5 cl of sherry vinegar, and allow complete reduction. Set aside.
- Cut the beetroot and apple with a mandoline slicer (0.7mm thick). Sprinkle the apple slices with lemon juice to prevent them from oxidising. In a salad bowl, coat all the slices with melted butter, salt and pepper, mix well to gently coat them all.
- In a 16cm-diameter ovenproof pan, alternate beetroot slices with Pink Lady® apple slices. Place a greaseproof paper disk on top. Hold the paper in place with a metal disc. Place in the oven at 185°C for 15 minutes.
- Cut out a 21cm-diameter puff pastry disc. Place a 17cm-diameter metal circle on the disc, press lightly to make an imprint without cutting the pastry. This way, the outer edge of the puff pastry will puff up. Place the onion confit in the centre, brush the edge of the puff pastry with a beaten egg yolk, and sprinkle with orange zest and thyme.
- Display the pre-cooked Pink Lady® beetroot and apple rosette on the onion confit, cover with a greaseproof paper disc, and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with lamb’s lettuce and chicory shoots.
Pink Lady® top tip
Golden beetroot and Pink Lady® apple Tarte Tatin with lamb’s lettuce and chicory.