The Pink Lady® Flower tart is an elegant and delicious treat for any event, particularly when you want to spoil somebody! The hazelnut-flavoured biscuit base brings crunch to the dish. The hazelnut works well with the fondant apple subtly flavoured with cardamom. They are decorated with apple slices arranged to make the mini tarts look like flowers. Pink Lady® apples are great for making flowers thanks to their firm flesh that is easy to cut into clean and precise shapes. The natural red colour of Pink Lady® skins brings a delicate touch of beauty to this dessert.
For the crust
- 150 g flour
- 2 g salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 65 g butter
- 40 ml water
- 35 g ground hazelnuts
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Cut the butter into chunks.
- Mix the flour, salt, ground hazelnuts and the brown sugar.
- Add the butter and kneed with your fingertips to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Pour the water in a little bit at a time until you obtain an even texture.
- Roll into a ball shape and leave in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Roll out the mixture onto a floured surface.
- Use a cutter to cut out circles two centimetres bigger that the muffin tins.
- Butter the inside of the muffin tins and line them with the pastry circles
- Prick the bottom of the tartlets with a fork.
- Cook the tarts for 30 minutes.
For the fondant
- 2 Pink Lady® apples
- 30 g sugar
- 15 g butter
- 2 tbsp Juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- Peel the Pink Lady® apples, dice them and pour over the lemon juice.
- Melt the butter and add the ground cardamom and the apples. Stir.
- Add the sugar, cover and leave to cook for 15 minutes on a medium heat. Remove the lid towards the end of cooking to allow any excess liquid to evaporate.
- Stir and remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Fill the tartlet cases with a dessert spoon of the cold apple fondant.
For the decoration
- 2 Pink Lady® apples
- 1 lemon
- 50 g sugar
- 40 g butter
- 1 tbsp mixed flower honey
- Slice the apples into thin half-moon shapes using a mandoline slicer or a knife.
- Squeeze over a little lemon juice. Set aside.
- Melt the butter with the sugar.
- Add the lemon juice and beat.
- Dunk the apples into the boiling mixture for 30 seconds and then take off the head, place the apple slices flat, in a line, overlapping each other.
- Roll the apple slices back on themselves to make a flower.
- Place the flower in the tartlet case and then repeat until all of the tartlets are complete.
- Brush with butter/ the remaining sugar and a little honey.
- Place under the grill for 8 to10 minutes at 200°C. Watch over the tartlets.
- Leave to cool, remove from the tin and enjoy!
Pink Lady® top tip
You can replace the ground hazelnut with almonds and the cardamom with fresh vanilla.