What better than a lovingly prepared snack that fills the house with an appetising fragrance? Try these little and light sponge cakes with an apple butter centre. For a balanced snack, add raw apple sticks to dip in the apple butter.The Pink Lady® apple lends itself well to cooked and raw combinations. While vanilla apple butter reveals the indulgent sweet side of the apple, the slices of fresh fruit bring a crunchy texture and a sharp taste that kids love. The softness of the sponge cake enhances the crunchiness of the Pink Lady® apple slices! Here is a little gourmet snack to delight your kids!
For the apple butter:
- 1 Pink Lady® apple
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100 g sugar
- 20 g butter
- 60 ml water
- 100 g whipping cream
- Peel and dice the apple.
- Add the diced apple to a frying pan with 20ml water and cook for 10 minutes over a very low heat.
- Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the grains.
- Blitz the apples and then pour the compote obtained into a pan with the butter, cream and vanilla. Cook for 2 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, add the sugar and water and heat until you obtain a “light blond caramel”.
- Pour the hot apple mixture over the caramel, stirring vigorously.
- Put back on a gentle heat for 5 minutes until you obtain a homogeneous butter.
For the boat cakes:
- 60 g flour
- 2 eggs
- 55 g sugar
- 10 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Whisk the yolks with the sugar until the mixture whitens.
- Melt the butter.
- Add the melted butter and flour to the mixture.
- Whip the whites into firm peaks. Incorporate one third of the whites by whisking vigorously, then add the rest by delicately folding them in with a spatula.
- Pipe the cake batter into the tray moulds using a piping bag.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack.
- 1 half ½ Pink Lady® apple
- 1 half lemon
- Spread apple butter in the hollow of the little cakes.
- Cut small apple sticks. Dip them in lemon juice to prevent oxidation. Refrigerate.
- Fill small glasses with the remaining apple butter and use as dip for the apple sticks. A perfect little snack!
Pink Lady® top tip
For an extra indulgent touch, add a teaspoon of cocoa to your cake batter for a chocolatey version!