Take your taste buds on a tour of central Asia with this delicious cake.
- 3 Pink Lady® apples
- 4 tbsp honey
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 125 g ground almond
- 25 cl water
- 250 g pistachios
- 20 filo pastry
- 200 g butter + 20 g for the mould
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- Peel the Pink Lady® apples, remove the core and finely slice the quarters as thin as possible. Set aside.
- Mix the sugar, almond meal, cinnamon and crushed pistachio nuts. Set this mixture aside. Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Brush the melted butter onto both sides of half of the filo dough sheets.
- Line the bottom of the greased pan with these sheets. Spread the preceding mixture and then cover with the thin apple slices. Brush the melted butter onto both sides of half of the filo dough sheets. Brush both sides of the remaining filo dough sheets with the melted butter. Cover the apples with these sheets. Pour the rest of the melted butter over the baklava. Using a sharp knife, pre-cut the baklava into triangular-shaped pieces.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 30 min. then lower the temperature to 150°C and bake for another 40 min.
Pink Lady® top tip
During this time, make the syrup. Pour the water and sugar into a saucepan and let simmer for 5 min. Remove from heat and add the honey, the lime juice and the rosewater. Set aside. At the end of the baking time, remove the baklava from the oven and pour the syrup over it while it is still hot. Let cool before serving.