After the holidays, we tend to want much lighter dishes but while we are still in the deep mid-winter, we still need hot and comforting meals. Cod is a firm, tender and layered fish that accompanies this apple-celeriac purée perfectly. The bitterness of the celeriac and the sweetness of the Pink Lady®® apple together create the perfect balance and a creamy combination. The vinaigrette, made with finely diced Pink Lady® apples, provides a fresh end note and crunch to dish. Both as cooked and raw, Pink Lady® apple reveals its variety of flavours.
- 1 half lemon
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 1 l milk
- 1 half tsp / ½ tsp celeriac
- 1 half tsp / ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 cod fish fillets
- Peel and chop the celeriac.
- Cook the celeriac in the milk seasoned with salt until it is soft, approx. 15 minutes. Drain.
- Peel and chop two and a half Pink Lady® apples.
- Cook the apples with the lid on for approx. 20 minutes.
- Reduce the cream with the nutmeg and a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream over the celeriac and apples compote and then blend.
- Incorporate a dessertspoon of olive oil, and blend until you obtain an even texture.
- Remove the core of the remaining half apple and dice finely. Squeeze some lemon juice over.
- Finely chop the parsley.
- Whisk the cider vinegar with a little bit of salt and pepper and 3 dessert spoons of olive oil. Add the finely dice apples and the parsley.
- Cook the cod, skin-side down in a hot frying pan with a little bit of olive oil for approximately 8 minutes. Sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt.
- Turn off the heat and turn the fish over to cook the other side for just a few seconds.
- Plate up with a little celeriac and apple purée, place the fish on top and spoon over a little of the vinaigrette
Pink Lady® top tip
For a little extra crunch, you can add a few finely chopped, toasted hazelnuts and a little mild chilli or Espelette chilli pepper on top of the fish!