The beauty and the beast. Two tartlets with identical ingredients, and yet so different to look at. You can do wonders with four apples and a dozen f…
The beauty and the beast. Two tartlets with identical ingredients, and yet so different to look at. You can do wonders with four apples and a dozen filo pastry sheets. Here’s how not to waste anything. For two 22 cm-diameter tarts.
- 4 Pink Lady® apples
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 egg yolks
- 50 cl milk
- 60 g melted butter
- 10 to 12 filo pastry sheets
- 4 tablespoons of apricot jam
- 100 g vanilla sugar (100 g sugar blended using a food processor with pieces of previously used vanilla pods)
- 50 g cornflour
- The juice and zest of 1/2 an organic, untreated lemon
- Two 22 cm-diameter tart rings
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- In a saucepan, heat the milk over low heat.
- Mix the egg yolks with the vanilla sugar using a whisk.
- Add the cornflour and mix again.
- Pour the milk over the egg yolk, sugar and cornflour mixture, and whisk again.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan used to heat the milk, and cook over low heat, all the while whisking to obtain fine crême patissière (pastry cream).
- Add lemon juice and zest and mix again. Set aside.
- Open the vanilla pod, remove the seeds and add them to the melted butter, and mix.
- Start assembling the filo sheets by brushing each sheet with vanilla butter. Place ten to twelve sheets on top of each other and arrange them on a baking tray.
- Cover the base of the tart with a thin layer of the previously made crème pâtissière.
- Cut the apples into slices using a mandolin slicer, and arrange them harmoniously in a rosette on the crême patissière.
- Brush the surface of the tart with apricot jam and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Trim the edge of the tart by cutting off the excess filo pastry.
- Use the excess filo pastry to make the base of the second tart by placing it in the second circle. Add crême patissière to the bottom of the tart.
- Cover the cream with the rest of the apples simply cut into cubes.
- Brush with apricot jam and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Place both tarts in the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes.