Ice-cream sandwich with brioche and caramelised Pink Lady® apples
This summer, Pink Lady® is proud to present a delicious ice cream sandwich with apples! Ideally refreshing and delicious This ice cream dessert is a great classic in the United States, and we are bringing an original twist to it! In a sauce, caramelised and flavoured with rum and vanilla, as well as caramelised and diced, the Pink Lady® apple goes perfectly with the creaminess of the vanilla ice cream. Children will love having fruit in a sandwich, especially since they can eat it with their fingers! Pink Lady® wishes you a happy start to the summer! Find out more
For the vanilla ice cream
- 1 Pink Lady® apple
- 1 half lemon
- 1 vanilla pod
- 500 ml whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 125 g sugar
- Slit the vanilla pod in half lengthwise.
- Bring the milk to a boil with the vanilla.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar until the mixture whitens.
- Add a little hot milk, stir and then pour in the rest of the milk.
- Pour the mixture into a clean saucepan and simmer. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon. When the cream sticks to the spoon, remove from heat. Filter the mixture using a chinois strainer. Place the recipient in a double boiler with cold water and ice cubes, then place the cream in the fridge to cool.
- Churn the cream until you obtain a soft, smooth ice cream, for about 25 minutes depending on the model of your machine.
- Dice the apple into small cubes, without removing the skin, and pour a little lemon juice over the cubes to prevent them from turning brown.
- Heat them gently in a frying pan with the remaining sugar. Stir regularly. Make sure the skin does not colour too much, so it stays a pretty pink! Let cool at room temperature and then chill in the fridge.
For the apple sauce made with caramelised ap
- 2 Pink Lady® apples
- 1 half lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 half vanilla pod
- 60 g sugar
- 2 tsp dark rum
- Peel the Pink Lady® apples. Core with an apple corer. Dice the apples into small cubes and pour a little lemon juice over them.
- Slit the vanilla pod in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Prepare the caramel with the sugar. When the caramel starts to brown, add the apple cubes, vanilla seeds and salt. Stir with a spoon and continue cooking. When the water from the apples has evaporated, add the rum and stir.
- Set aside half of the caramelised apple cubes and mix the other half with a tilt-head stand mixer. The purée obtained should be creamy. Add a little water to dilute if necessary. Mix this purée with the remaining caramelised apple cubes. Let the apple sauce cool, then chill it in the fridge.
- 1 half Pink Lady® apple
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 12 slices of brioche
- 40 g pecans
- A few gooseberries and mint leaves
- Toast the slices of brioche and cut off the crusts. Let the toast cool.
- Arrange six slices of brioche close together in a dish.
- Spread a layer of caramelised apple sauce.
- Spread a thin layer of vanilla ice cream. Smooth well with the back of a spoon.
- Carefully arrange caramelised apple cubes with their skin, all across the layer of ice cream.
- Cover the apples with a second layer of vanilla ice cream.
- Finish with the six remaining slices of brioche, placed close together. Press down gently and place the dessert in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, slice into twelve sandwiches.
Pink Lady® top tip
– If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can simply buy a half-litre of vanilla ice cream! – If you have leftover caramelised apple sauce, keep it: you can serve it with a scoop of ice cream for a quick dessert! – To go with the ice cream sandwich, cut half an apple into matchsticks and mix them in a bowl with a few gooseberries, some chopped mint and caramelised pecans! Mix a bit of agave syrup or honey with a bit of apple juice and lemon juice, and pour the mixture over this quick fruit salad!
Find inspiration with other recipes