Slowly but surely, Christmas preparations are coming together. We still have a couple of weeks ahead of us to get everything ready. To ring in the holiday season, Pink Lady® has dreamed up a delicious stuffed quail recipe that you and your guests will love. This recipe features a sweet stuffing made with Pink Lady® apples and chestnuts deglazed with white wine. With its amazingly smooth texture, lent by the duck foie gras, the stuffing mingles and blends in deliciously with the delicate flesh of the quail. This dish can be enjoyed with Pink Lady® apples, pumpkin roasted with maple syrup and candied shallots with sweet, spicy notes of white wine. The Pink Lady® brings a fresh, green touch to enliven the full-bodied, rich flavour of the recipe. Delight your guests with this unique, festive dish!
For the candied shallots
- 30 g butter
- 50 ml water
- 50 ml white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 10 small shallots
- Peel the shallots.
- Melt the butter in small saucepan.
- Lay the whole shallots in the butter and brown. Stir regularly.
- Add the white wine.
- Simmer for 5 min. then add the water.
- Set the heat to low, cover and cook for around 30-40 min.
For the garnish
- 3 Pink Lady® apple
- 1 half lemon
- 400 g pumpkin
- 5 clove
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 10 sage leaves
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F on the convection setting.
- Core the apples using an apple corer. Cut the Pink Lady® apples in half and then cut each half into slices 3mm thick. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Cut the pumpkin in half. Scoop out the insides and cut each half into slices around 3mm thick.
- Mix the olive oil, maple syrup, cloves, salt and pepper together.
- Pour the apple and pumpkin slices into the sauce and mix them together. Lay them out on a baking pan covered with wax paper and sprinkle with sage leaves. Bake for around 12 minutes, keeping an eye on the oven. The apples and pumpkin should be golden brown.
For the stuffed quail
- 1 Pink Lady® apple
- 1 half ½ lemon
- 1 A knob of butter
- 6 tbsp white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 whole peeled chestnuts
- 80 g block of foie gras
- 4 quail (cleaned out by the farmer)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Take the foie gras out of the refrigerator 10 minutes beforehand.
- Core the Pink Lady® apples using an apple corer, then dice and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Dice the chestnuts.
- Heat one tbsp. olive oil with the butter in a frying pan until the mix becomes frothy.
- Add the Pink Lady® apples and the chestnuts. Add salt and pepper, then brown for around 10
- minutes. Add 6 tbsp. white wine after around 5 minutes, stir and simmer, allowing the mix to reduce.
- Cut the foie gras into small cubes and add the cooled mixture.
- Slather the quails with olive oil using a brush. Season the quails with salt and pepper, then stuff with the mixture of Pink Lady® apples, chestnuts and foie gras. Tie up the legs of the quails using kitchen twine.
- Heat one tbsp. olive oil in a frying pan. Brown the quails for 5 minutes on all sides. Deglaze with 10 tbsp. white wine, coat the quails and remove from the heat. Place the quails in a baking dish. Bake for around 25 minutes.
- Increase the heat on the frying pan. Deglaze with 30 ml white wine and reduce for around 10 minutes.
- Five minutes before the quails finish baking, add the Pink Lady® apple and pumpkin garnish. Coat this garnish with the white wine reduction and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
For the presentation
- Remove the kitchen twine.
- On each plate, place one quail per person, a bit of garnish and a few candied shallots
Pink Lady® top tip
Put the finishing touch on your presentation by decorating the plate with a few fried sage leaves. To make these, take a few small sage leaves and plunge them into very hot olive oil. Remove and drain on sheets of paper towel.